It's my birthday on Monday. I'll be 31.
31 years old.
I don't feel 31... but I fear I'm starting to look it. Receding hair, protruding abdomen, and flecks of gray starting to congregate strategically throughout my locks. I'm done with school, I have my own business... I'm responsible for a family. I'm old! I don't feel old, but everything else in my life makes me think I should be feeling old.
31...
Just after Christmas Challene started asking me what I wanted for my birthday. I had no idea. Another sign of getting old. But really, I didn't need anything... Couldn't think of anything I wanted... I couldn't give her an answer. "A Wii game," she asks. "I haven't hardly played with the ones I've got." I reply. "Clothes?" she questions knowingly. I hate getting clothes as a present. Hate it.
Obviously frustrated, she stopped asking me.
Last week, I got a call from her while at work. "Which would you prefer," she asks, "tickets to the symphony, or an evening of hilarious improvisation with none other than Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood?"
Both of these options surprised me. The first because Challene hates "the arts". Even the Desert Star Playhouse makes her cringe. The latter surprised me because of the line-up. Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood of ABC's Who's Line Is It Anyway?
I've loved that show since its inception. I think improvisation is the purest form of comedy, not to mention the most difficult to master.

I don't think I've laughed any harder than I have with any other television show out there. Honestly, I greatly appreciate the other cast members: The quirky Ryan Stiles, and the amazingly quick witted Wayne Brady. Their both great, but Colin Mochrie has always had a very special place in my heart. I like his style of humor. I appreciate his dry wit. The Green Screen scenes are some of my favorite.

Brad was just ok in my book. Certainly no Greg Proops.

So, when I heard we could go see Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood LIVE, I jumped on the opportunity.

The event was to be held at Abravanel Hall in downtown SLC. So you know it had to be classy, right. I bet Challene before the show that there would be over 10 Mormon jokes.
We were both enjoying poking fun at Dale Chiluly's glass sculpture in the lobby when the 5 minute chime... well, it chimed.
Filled with anticipation we entered and took our seats three rows from the very back wall.
We didn't care, though. We heard the 1 minute chime and girded ourselves for hilarity.
Suddenly, the lights dimmed... then it was dark. Pitch black. We then heard the rapid crescendo of the opening to Wake Up by Rage Against The Machine.
Colin and Brad are announced and in they walk, in time to the music, and strangely similar to the '80's WWF sensation; The Bushwacker's. They did a silly choreographed bit which was funny just because Colin is so old. I knew then, that this night will be magical.
They started off by doing a classic Who's Line game where two audience members move the actors throughout an entire scene. The scene itself was probably 6-8 minutes in length, but my cheeks were very sore and I had a "laughing headache" after it. Challene was crying.
I had written this blog detailing each and every scene in their entirety when I realized that it just wasn't doing it any comedic justice. Suffice it to say that we had a fantastic time and enjoyed every minute of the show. Sure, some scene's were funnier than others, but really it was all gold.
I mentioned earlier how much respect I had for this type of comedic stylings, and I still stand by that. For this reason, I do have to mention one other scene.
It began by Colin and two stage aids placing 100 set mousetraps on the stage. Colin and Brad removed their shoes, donned blindfolds and began an opera scene about a stolen shoe. They strolled along the stage during the scene with 100 mousetraps slamming closed on their toes.
The intellectual quality lowered during that bit, while the slapstick quality rose. I still laughed. Seeing Colin and Brad revert to blindly tossing set mousetraps at each other was entertaining, yes, but it felt... a little desperate. They are better than that. Colin nailed Brad in the privates with one. The crowd went wild.
The evening ended with a hilarious parody of Frank Sinatra's My Way that summarized the night, the skits, and their time in Salt Lake City.
We left Abravanel laughing, smiling, and with memories that will last a lifetime. Plus, not one single Mormon joke.
Hands down... the BEST birthday present ever.
Thank's Challene!

4 comments:
WILL!!!! John and I knew all day it was your birthday, and we failed to call you! Happy Belated Birthday friend! Glad you had fun, and I'm jealous you got to go see Who's line LIVE!
You never said if they made Mormon jokes or not! Anyway, it sounds fantastic. I am WAY jealous!
Glad you had such a great birthday! What a great wife you have!!
We have that game Ethan is Holding!
Post a Comment