Well, we had Ethan's birthday party last Saturday, and it was a big success. The house was packed full. Probably because we were serving delicious pizza. Megan had come the day before, and was ready and willing to help out. This was a relief to me because I am not really one for baking, or offering advice on baking. Challene has decided to make it a tradition to bake a cake for our little ones on their days, which I commend and support whole-heartedly. I just know so little of the subject that I'm not very much help and then frustration takes over. Lucky for me, Megan was there to give well placed advice. I think Challene's cake skills have grown three-fold in the last year. Yes, three-fold. She found a "ball" cake mold in Michael's and decided to give it a go. She made Ethan a baseball cake. The very second he saw it he gasped, hurriedly pointed his finger and said, "ball, ball!" Gosh that kid likes balls. That reaction made the whole thing worth it in Challene's opinion.
The instructions recommended icing the cake in this fashion to save any frustration for not having an equi-smooth cake. I feel that recommendation was very wise. Kudos to the vendor.Ethan just loves to blow out candles, blow on hot food, blow in your face, anything. So he was ready and waiting to blow that thing out. He didn't even want to wait for 'Happy Birthday' to be sung. He was blowing before we moved it to a reachable place.
Gwen (curly hair) is right behind Ethan, and Jessica is right next to Gwen
After each of the other children finished "pinning" their tails, they took off the blindfold and ran back to their respective parents. Ethan, though, turned around and began walking with the blindfold on. He didn't seem to care that he couldn't see anything. He nearly walked into the table. We all had a good chuckle.
As reward for stalwart efforts in pinning donkey tails we gave everyone a bouncy balloon (the ones with the elastic attached). Beyond the game, beyond the food, beyond the presents, this by far was the greates hit of the evening. They went absolutely nuts! Running in circles, screaming at the tops of their lungs chasing each other trying to bounce the balloon off of the head of the nearest person... oh, the kids liked them too! But seriously, you've never seen competition until you've seen grown men attempt to bounce a balloon closest to anothers nose from four feet away.
The Madness
If you're wondering where Joshua is during all this, he slept through the entire party. I think he may be the only one on the entire block that was able to sleep during that time.
We kindly thanked everyone for ditching the adult session of stake conference for our little party and sent them on their way.



3 comments:
Hi: Thanks for posting the birthday pictures. They're great! I sure wish I could have been there for Ethan's 2nd birthday. It sounds like the party was a hit. Ethan's birthday cake was awesome. Ya know, we will ALL now expect a Challene signature cake on our birthdays! ha ha TAKE CARE.
Sounds like the birthday was a blast. Wish we could have been there. I'm thinking the blog thing works out better than your newsletters, Will. Keep them coming!
Nice.
Post a Comment