Friday, April 20, 2007

7th quarter

Another Spring Break gone! I'm actually already two weeks into my 7th (of twelve) quarter. It's been a raucous two weeks all ready. The schedule is funky-wunky. I suppose the best way to 'splain it is to follow suit and go through my classes one at a time. For those of you not interested....

Physical Therapy I - Just as the name implies we're learning PT modalities. Things as simple as ice and heat to complex things like Ultrasound, Electrical Stimulation, and Cold Laser. It's quite facinating and an area I think many D.C.s overlook. It can be quite powerful for rehabilitation as well as easing acute episodes. It's a lecture and lab class, so we've had some fun.
NeuroMusculoSkeletal II - NMS is a class where we learn all the diseases/disorders/syndromes pertaining to the NMS system. Part I last quarter dealt mainly with the axial skeleton (everything but your arms and legs) and part II is dealing with the lower extremity (legs). We've covered Plantar Fascitis, and Metatarsalgia so far. Those are just in the foot. We'll be moving up the leg as the term progresses. We discuss how the disease occurs, it's signs and symptoms, presentation, diagnosis, prognosis, treatment options, recovery, and residual effects. It's acutally quite complicated. It takes a lot of study time. Also a lab/lecture class. We have a separate two hour block of lab called Cast Lab. Just as you may have surmised this is where we learn how to wrap... everything. From Ace bandage to taping, from splints to plaster casts we're covering it all. It's been pretty fun so far.
Clinical Phase I - The "clin phase" series is designed to assimilate all the material we've learned in the past two years and put it together. It's the mechanics of being a doctor. It's paperwork things like taking a chief complaint history, or a more thorough physical examination history. As well as putting together exam flows for certain examinations. It's fun, but takes a lot of study time and memorization. Not one of my strong suits.
Clinical Pathology - Well, I've had regular pathology before, so what's the difference? This is kind of a continuation of my Clinical Lab class from last quarter. Here we discuss all the diseases/syndromes/conditions diagnosed by lab work. We've begun the Anemias (low blood supply) There's a ton of different anemias and each is brought on a different way. Sickle Cell, Microcytic, Macrocytic, Normocytic Hypochromic, Macrocytic Hyperchromic, Iron Deficient, and on and on. Hard to differentiate them some times. Lots of chemistry. Gosh, I thought I was done with all that!
Radiographic Technique I - Just as the name implies this is the "how to" of x-rays. In addition to positioning, it invlolves a lot of physics. I thought I was done with physics too, but these undergrad courses keep rearing their ugly heads!
Adjustive Technique Vadv - Last quarter we had the beginner portion of this course. Essentially it is extremity adjusting. We learned all the joint plays last quarter (basically assessing each joint based on its movement) and this quarter we're learning the adjustments.
Adjustive Technique VI - This is pretty much a review of all the adjustment classes so far. It's a place to fine tune our skills and learn some alternate techniques. Pretty informative
Bone Pathology I - Diagnosing radiographs. We have to be able to distinguish between trauma (fracture, break, dislocation, etc.), and anomolies (extra bone parts, not enough bone parts, oddly grown bone parts, etc.). Sounds easy enough, but it's not. There's about a bazillion different conditions all named after some crazy glory-seeking european person.
Emergency Care - Just what it says. We get CPR certified, learn first aid and all that jazz. So far, it doesn't compare to the course taken in the cub (boy?) scouts. For one, there's never any Little Debbie brand Oatmeal Creme Pies afterward.
Personal Patient Management I - More of the same, "how to be a doctor" schtick. Apparently not getting sued is a high priority for field docs. Who knew. And apparently documentation is a very important component of not getting sued. Here's where my years of Watson experience come to play. "If it isn't documented, it never happened!" Actually, that way of thinking saved me a few times. Good times.

Well, I suppose that's it. This took me much longer than I wanted, and I think the reader will probably notice my uncaring attitude toward the latter ends of this update. In addition to all the classes I'm taking, I've also started in the Student Health Center. That's right, I'm treating other students. Traditionally, 7th quarter students just treat other 7th quarter students. Seeing as how we've never done anything like that before and seeing as how there are a lot of unknown components to the whole gig they thought it prudent that we treat each other to begin with. Well, apparently (there's that word again) our class is smaller than normal, or something because I ended up with not only a 7th quarter patient but another patient as well! Talk about pressure! Now my lunch times are filled, not with studying as I normally fill them, but with treatments and paperwork. That means that I'm going to have to spend a lot of home time studying.

I'm really going now. There will be an update soon. Challene is gathering photos of our spring break trip and junk.

kay, luv you buh-bye.

Will, Challene, Ethan, and Joshua

1 comments:

Colleen said...

As always, I really enjoy hearing about your school classes! So keep the information coming. I know it's alot of stressful, extensive studying, but you'll get there. And the time seems to be just flying by. It's hard to believe you've all been in Portland for OVER a year and a half! Anyway, we're all supportive of your endeavors and CHEERING YOU ON from UTAH! TAKE CARE!