Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Kindergarten

Wow I am in shock my oldest is now a Kindergartener! Ethan Started his first day of school on August 30, 2010. We got to his school 15 minutes early and at first he was excited. We stopped by my friend Kim's classroom to say hi and burn a little time. I wish Ethan had Kim for a teacher but she is a full day Kindergarten teacher and only the kids that struggle have her. I also thought that by stopping by to see her it would help Ethan know she was there. After our short visit with Kim we went next door to Ethan's class. We took some time to look around but when I told him I had to leave he got scared. He wouldn't sit in his chair and he was grabbing on to me saying "Mommy, Mommy, I want Mommy." Poor kid, it broke my heart but I was trying to be strong and I couldn't exactly break down. That definatly wouldn't have helped. So what does any great mom do at that moment when she is trying to not make a scene? Well she starts bribing her child! I bribed him with TV and treats but ultimately nothing worked he still wouldn't let me go. Finally his teacher took him. I rushed out the door with Joshua in tow and literally only heard Ethan cry for 2 seconds. I stood out in the hallway for a couple of minutes passing the time with a friend while I listened to see if he was okay. I then had that friend look in to check on him. He was fine so I peeked in and he looked fine. His back was to me and he was standing next to the teacher. I left very reluctantly and worried the whole 3 hours about him, keeping my phone right next to me. I was worried the school might call and tell me he was having a hard time. But nope not one call.

During Ethan's school I had an errand to run down to Bountiful and on my way I did cry a little. I was just worried about him, it's hard to let your child go when they are crying. It just goes against every motherly instinct in my body. Finally it was time to go and pick him up and it was so surreal to see him walk out of the front door of the school surrounded by all of his classmates. He just seemed like such a big boy. You know it has crossed my mind that someday my child will go to school, someday my child will drive, go on a mission, etc. but I have to tell you this one still snuck up on me. Where did the time go?

Sorry, I digress, lets continue on. Ethan and I had a predetermined meeting spot and he started to look for me there and once he saw me he had a huge grin on his face. I don't specifically remember what I asked him but he said he had fun, thus making all my worry for not. Oh and shortly there after he started to remind me of all the things/bribes I had told him he could have after school. Yes, I did pay up.

Today was his second day and he again had a hard time wanting to go. It probably had to do with the fact that today they had to line up in the back of the school on a number and wait for their teacher to come and get them. It really was overwhelming to have all of the kids out there. He didn't want to line up and he wouldn't let go of my hand when it was time to go but I handed him off to his teacher who took him again with less reluctance than yesterday. He went and had another good day.

Ethan is the only child in his class that seems to be struggling. I am sure this has to do with not having gone to preschool. But considering all he is doing great. He does have 4 friends from our ward that are in his class and I am really glad for that I think that helps as well.

School Orientation

Ethan out side of his school Holt on Monday August 23, 2010 ready to go in for school orientation.



The Holt Hawks.
Posing in front of the school mascot wall.

Joshua and Ethan building blocks while I was try to pay attention and hear the teacher tell us what we need to know during school orientation.


First Day of School

The first day of school. Ethan showing off his back pack.

Heading into school.

Ethan sitting at his desk.




4 comments:

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

It's hard enough sometimes to drop them off at nursery. I can't imagine leaving them at school.

But mostly I'm just glad that I'm not looking at your vacuum cleaner any more.

Quinn

Cindy said...

Jimmy went to preschool and still occasionally had a hard time being dropped off for kindergarten. Granted, those times were always the times when Russ dropped him off. He never really seemed to have a problem with me dropping him off. The girls never had a problem with being dropped off after seeing Jimmy go and the things he did there. I would guess it will be easier for Josh than Ethan. :)

Unknown said...

I can't believe Ethan is old enough to go to school now. He looks so big sitting in that chair in his classroom! I'm glad he is liking it though.

Linds said...

He is so grown up. How did this happen? They aren't old enough to be in school. So crazy! Liza is loving it. I hope Ethan is doing better with it now.