Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Sweetest Challene!!!

Today, June 11, 2008, is Challene's 28th birthday. We've been together for 11 of those wonderful years! I am completely in love with her and thought I would write a little tribute to the most wonderful wife in the world. It's actually more of a trip down memory lane. I'm at school, so unfortunately I can't put any embarassing pictures on here. A brief history of my life with Challene:


We met in high school band class. I was immediately taken by her, but figured our backgrounds were too different for anything to happen between us. So I did not pursue. Challene, on the other hand, pursued. As soon as senior year started she was all over me. She took auto-shop with me just to have more flirting time. We'd always work on my car because she didn't want to bring her Mustang in. I was oblivious to her attempts because I never thought anything could happen. I just thought she was being cute. Near the end of the school year there was a band party to be had up at north canyon park. During auto-shop she says to me, "So.... are you going to the band party?" "Not sure," I says, "I think I might." "Oh," she replied, a twinkle in her dark brown eye. "Well, my Mom doesn't really want me to go alone," (a big lie!!!) "Could you give me a ride?" Immediately alarms were going off in my head. "Yeah... I can give you a ride." We ended up spending the whole time together. At the end of the party after everyone had gone we sat on the grass and watched the sunset while she massaged my hands. I wanted to kiss her then and there, but refrained.


We didn't see each other for a few weeks after that. The school year had ended. A few days into the break I was thinking I should call her. I was actually on my way to pick up the phone when it rang. "Willie," my sister says, "phone!!! Its a giiiirrrrllll!" She never believes me that I was actually on my way to the phone to call her. Our official first date was that weekend (June 13, 1997). We went hiking with some friends on a trail right near the Bountiful Temple. We ended up having a food fight with our picnic and then went bowling. Our next date was the week after. We went bowling again with a different group of friends. This was particularly nice because everyone wanted to make it interesting. It was finally agreed that the losers would have to kiss the winners. I lost. We had our first kiss that night. AND WHAT A KISS!!!! I remember driving home passed Danny's house (he was in our date group), with a big goofy grin on my face, and honking several times in code to let him know that Challene and I kissed. He never heard the honk.


After that, we were together every day! And I mean, EVERY DAY! Despite obstacles that I thought would most certainly get in the way of our relationship, it was soon very clear that we were definitely meant to be together.

I left for the MTC on Feb. 11, 1998. The weekend prior to that was Challene's Sweetheart's Ball. That was an emotional time, I tell you what. It was like it was out of a movie. We were slow dancing and I could feel her shaking with sobs. I knew she was thinking about the coming Wednesday when we I would be leaving. Right at the climactic finish of Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On she broke away from my loving embrace and ran out of the gymnasium crying. I was left standing alone beneath the circling mirrored dome watching in shock as she ran out. A friend, mid-dance, leaned over and said, "Go after her, Will. Go after her." I almost chuckled at the shear drama of it all, but was more concerned with my Sweet Challene. I went after her only to find that she had ducked into the girls bathroom. She came out several minutes later and we went to our friend's house to watch some movies. I had been wearing one of my new missionary suits. The makeup stain from her crying was there the whole two years.

Challene came to my setting apart the night before I left. Seeing her leave my house that time, the last time I would see her for two years, almost killed me. I was 19 years old and hopelessly in love with her. She was so beautiful and so popular I thought there would be no way she wouldn't be married by the time I got home from my mission. Deep down, I thought that may be the last time I saw her. Despite my efforts, I could not come to grips with that.

She sent me letters faithfully every week. When I stepped off the plane on February 16, 2000 I couldn't not hug her. Despite the "ooo's" and gasps from my family it was the best hug I've ever had.

It was like we started all over. We had another first date which was quite awkward, but we soon settled back into old ways. You've all heard about the proposal (if not, see the anniversary blog). We were sealed on May 16, 2001. The ceremony was incredible. It was amazing to be surrounded by loved ones and to hold my dearest Challene's hands across a holy alter. Knowing that regardless of what this life has in store for us, we can be together forever... it was the happiest day of my life. That knowledge has buoyed us when the inevitable hardships have come. My mouth ached and ached that day because I couldn't stop smiling. I have many happy memories from that day.

It has been over seven years since that day. Despite the hard times... like me telling my wife that I want to sell our dream house, live in an apartment for three years so I could be a chiropractor... we've actually become more and more in love.

I cried as she struggled to bring Ethan into this world. It was a personal goal of hers to have him without drugs. That decision was made before knowing that Ethan would get stuck and need the use of some not very friendly forceps and suction cups. Seeing her in such pain and being unable to help her almost killed me. Hearing her call me, begging me to do something... almost makes me cry just thinking about it. She did it. She was amazing. Holding little Ethan in our arms after all was said and done was an incredible experience. That was almost three and a half years ago. Joshua's birth was a different story. She opted for the epidural (something she would recommend to every woman out there) and we talked and joked the entire labor. I love that she was so willing to carry our babies for that long time. I love that she is willing to have more when the time comes.

Challene is, perhaps, the strongest woman I know. She is always trying to be a better person, wife, mother, den mother, visiting teacher, etc. She is always trying to progress. I'm almost ashamed to say that on occasion she has had to drag me along as she makes her way through the obstacle-course that is our lives toward progression. For that, I am grateful.

I love her. I love her dearly. I'm so glad she chose to be with me for time and all eternity. I'm ever impressed with her abilities to be a good mother to our children, and a good wife to me. I love her sense of humor. I love her confidence. I love her reliance on the spirit. It has been there to guide us many times even though sometimes I'm not sensitive enough to realize it. Thank goodness I have her. I would not want to go through this life without her. I'm glad the Lord knows me well enough to know I need her. And I do need her.

I hope you have a wonderful birthday, Challene. I love you.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow!! I'm glad I didn't put on my make-up yet! That was one of the sweetest things I have ever read. Challene I hope you have a great Birthday! You are one of my most favorite people in the whole world.

Linds said...

Geez Will, make me cry!! That was so sweet. You need to give Jared a few tips in the romance department. You two are so cute!!! I love it! Have a wonderful birthday Challene. After reading that, how could you not!!

Amy said...

Ya...that brought a tear to my eye! So cute!!! I love you guys! Happy Birthday Challene!

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

I was going to make a joke about that being so sappy I could make maple syrup with it....but I'll refrain. What I really wanted to do was give you a well-earned 'kudo' for using the term "bouyed up". You, sir, are a great American. None of the stories you shared sound even vaguely familiar to me. Was I even around when you two were dating? Oh, and happy birthday Challene! I'll have a Pace's Rainbow in your honor!

Quinn

Cindy said...

That was a very sweet post. Hope you have a great birthday today, Challene!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Challene!! Oh..that was too sweet I almost cried right here and there in the computer lab on campus!! I was barely able to hold it in though!!

Melissa Turner said...

That was so sweet what a great way to feel special on your birthday. I hope you have a great day.

Katie said...

It doesn't get any mushier than that! Great job Will! And Happy Birthday Challene! Hope you are having a great one!

Jeff and Amy said...

Holy crap, I was crying the entire time I was reading that!! You definitely scored some HUGE points Will!! Happy b-day Challene! I know it will be a good one because you have such a caring husband who will see to it that you do.

Living Green said...

Thanks Love for the birthday tribute. I love it! I love you so much! Can't wait for my present Saturday. Love Challene

And thank you all for wishing me a Happy Birthday, it really makes me feel loved!

Heather said...

You mean you get a present in addition to the tribute. WOW!!! So cool. Happy Birthday Challene. It was like reading a romance novel. : )

The Hill Family said...

That was such a beautiful tribute! Thanks for sharing! Will, you could write books on the side and you will be back in your dream house before you know it! I hope you had a GREAT birthday, Challene!! Thanks for being such a wonderful friend and example to me.

Nachelle said...

What a cute story! You two make a perfect couple. Happy Birthday!

Nicole Wagner Makeup said...

Seriously? Are you allowed to write something that sweet? Here I am bawling at my computer.....not nice Will;)
Happy Belated Birthday Challene...can we have you for dinner next week? will you be here?????

Katie said...

nice job will. i'm sure challene gave you the best husband award for that one;). wow, you really should hold a little meeting with all the husbands in the world and teach them a lot! happy belated birthday challene. you two are seriously the cutest couple ever.