There was this cool little "reef" of tall grass and wildflowers bordering the beach. It was quite lovely.
This is a picture of my Sweetest Challene after a quick trip to the Loo. "Wait," you may be thinking, "I just saw pictures of that grassy meadow and I didn't see any nearby buildings, shanty's, outhouses, etc. I couldn't even imagine anything out there except maybe a lone hotel not 1.5 miles in the distance!" My reply to you? "What an astute observation!" Yes, Challene's need was just that bad.
Except maybe an opportunity to smash someones pitiable attempts at a sandcastle. Even the makeshift moat didn't stop Josh from kicking the crap out of that thing. I've never been prouder! *sniff*
Ethan trying to make his own sand castle. Don't worry, Joshy smashed that one too!
Later, we travelled to Seaside to check out the aquarium. Disappointing? Well, we did pay $14 or so for Challene and I, but they did have a giant squid, octopi, and several playful, hungry seals. I think it was worth it. Joshy and Ethan wouldn't have anything to do with touching the starfish or anenomes. Well, that's not true. Actually, Ethan grabbed the very starfish I was holding above and nearly squished it to death. After a firm, but not overbearing, chastizement he refused to touch anything else.
Doesn't look like we got a picture of the seals, but there were 6 or 7 seals in a tank you could walk right up to. You had an option of buying a cut up fish to feed to the seals. As the 25 other patrons had paper bowls of stinky fish we opted not to. These seals have been pampered for far too long. One, I'll call him Tim, would sit there all cute like waiting with baited breath for someone to throw a fish-bit to him. Well, if no one threw anything before his internal timer counted down to zero, he would put both fore-fins in front of his body and splash the onlookers in a rather humorous and human-esque fashion. Challene was holding Ethan to see and she would duck behind him so as not to get wet. Ethan didn't mind a bit.
Another seal, we'll call him Hal, also had a "feed me" attention getter. He would roll on his side and smack his fore-fin against his voluptuous belly creating a makshift vacuum which invariably lead to a significant pressure differential. As we all know, that differential would resonate at particular frequencies easily audible to the human ear. In other words, he was clapping. Loudly. It, too, was humorous.
The aftermath of the day was, of course, two very dirty boys. So, here they are in the bath enjoying bubbles-a-plenty. Elmo's Wild Watermelon bath bubbles to be precise.
I failed to mention (but don't have the patience to amend the beach portion above) that Gearhart was riddled (rittled?) with sand dollars. We had the boys hunt for sand dollars as we strolled along. Most had been busted open by the bane of the shoreline... seagulls. As the seagull is NOT the state bird of Oregon I really wanted to kick one. Sadly, someone else must have tried the same thing before because they were awfully skiddish. Until I broke out the residual PB&J. They flocked to me like... well, like a flock of seagulls. Once one of them, let's call her Anjali, came within my sites. I flexed my knee, ready to strike, but after taking one look into that hungry little face and my heart was melted.
The above story is nearly true.
At any rate, we found a bazillion sand dollars on the beach. Well, they don't just come all white and pretty, oh no. You have to work for that. So, here is a photo of Challene and the boy's cleaning the sand dollars.
We never took a picture of our finished ones. They are beautiful, that's for certain. Here's an example of what one would look like.













4 comments:
So glad you had a good time. We all need to go together. And I loved that you named all the animals. Your writing cracks me up.
The trip to the beach looked like so much fun. I wish I could have come along for the walk on the beach with Ethan and Joshua - even in the cool wind! The pictures were great! Thanks for posting them.
I love those seals! They are hilarious! It is pretty darn expensive, but in the end it is worth it!
Loved the pictures! Especially the one of Challene coming back from going potty! If you gotta go you gotta go!
That was so fun to read. Good writing. It looks like you had a great time! I love the beach. It's always been one of my favorite places to go.
Post a Comment