Friday, July 25, 2008

Some day I will laugh

Lets just say that Friday I felt like I was on a roller coaster. Some moments were fine and then others were like "Why me?". My day started off on a low. Ethan came in the bedroom waking me and saying that "Joshua was ripping books". So I staggered out of bed blurry eyed to go and assess the damage. When I get in to the boys room I find 4 books torn up and only one salvageable. 2 of the 4 had sentimental value to them. "Hop on Pop" by Dr. Seuss I had given to Will for his very first Father's Day. The Second one "No Matter What" by Debi Gliori I really liked and my Mom had given it to me. So I'm sure I can replace them but I am annoyed that I have to.

So that was how my day started. The next part of my day went well, it was almost too easy. I took the car and renewed the registration. The Passport passed with flying colors, I paid for the DEQ test and the renewal all right there and was handed my stickers for the plates. I couldn't have been there more then 15 minutes. It was fabulous! Utah could learn a few things from Oregon. Ease of registration, and we don't have to register again until 2010!

After that I went to Fred Meyer Jewelers were I got my watch battery changed. This was another low. The guy was totally engrossed with helping this lady with her watch. I guess it was an antique. She was talking about how she aquired it and how beautiful the box was, how much it was worth and so forth. I really was not bothered that he was helping another costumer but it was that fact that I felt like I was being ignored. Here I was with two not quiet boys and they didn't even glance up to see if I needed help. All I wanted was "I will be with you in moment, ma'am". I have worked costumer service a lot and you acknowledge when people are there waiting to be helped.

I went to the bank to deposit a check once I was done at Fred Meyer and that went really well the boys actually stayed close by. They never do that! They are normally all over the bank, but this day and moment they stayed quite close. It was another high on my roller coaster of a day.

Here comes another down. So I walked next store to the AT & T store to pick up a battery for my phone. The kids were not as good as they were at the bank. Ethan was running all over touching phones. One worker even came up to me and warned me that Ethan looked like he might pull an I Phone display down on himself. So I got all flustered, there is nothing like feeling like a bad Mom because your kids are not listening to you. Then to have somebody point out that your kids are doing something bad is never good. So there I was holding a struggling Joshua in my arms trying to get my battery and telling Ethan to stop touching stuff.

We finally got the battery then I headed to get some lunch for us. I grabbed some Arby's for Will and the boys and some Jack in the box for me. That was also a joke. The guy at Arby's thought I was slow or something. I never go to Arby's and there I was trying to order Will's food and the boy's. I don't even think he really was listening to me because thank goodness I noticed at the window when he tried to hand me a Pepsi instead of a lemonade. Then at Jack in the box the lady tried to tell me they were out of the food I wanted. Which threw me. I guess she had bad information given to her. Finally I got what I wanted and I was off to Will's school. That part was nice. I always love seeing my husband. Even if it is eating fast food in the car, with the kids throwing food.

By the time lunch was done, I was starting to stress because I needed to get the boys home for a nap so I could turn around and come back to Will's school for an appointment that I had with Jared. So I said good bye to Will and we were off. Once home I was in pre-nap time routine mode. Diaper change, potty, and change of cloths if necessary and so forth. Well this was the worst part of my day. The part that I will hopefully some day soon look back and laugh. Ethan and I were in the half bathroom, I had the door shut because I did not want Joshua in there into everything and distracting Ethan. When I had shut the door I totally remember Joshua having a fairly large bottle of lotion in his hands. Yes it was full. So there I was in the bathroom trying to get Ethan to hurry up and go potty so I could get them down for their naps. I was listening for Joshua and he sounded like he was just outside the door and doing fine. Ethan finally finished. That is when to my horror I opened the door to a HUGE mess! Mounds of lotion in the carpet, Joshua covered head to toe, it was smeared into the drapes, the door and the mirror. I just stood there. I did not even know what to do. Where to start. How to clean up the mess. So I grabbed the camera and took some pictures. I am sure you the readers will feel my pain and probably laugh too. And that is fine. I am slowly coming around. I am sure someday I will laugh. Just not quite yet.






So that is not even the end of my roller coaster of a day. Yes it did continue. So to continue on, I called Will almost crying and told him what had happened. He came home to help, he is such a great husband and Dad. So the mess got cleaned up. I got a break because Will took care of putting the kids down for nap time. After my appointment we got some Keva's and went to the park. My day was still looking up. I took a much needed time out and sat on the bench and soaked up the sun while Will played with the kids. Here comes another down. Ethan towards the end of the park trip came over and laid his head on my lap saying that he was tired. I just thought he had heat exhaustion so we left soon after that. He was pretty much in hysterics after that. He said he did not feel good, he would not eat dinner. He had a fever so I put him in the bath trying to lower it and make him feel better. This seemed to only agitate him further in to hysteria. Will and I were doing everything to get him cooled down and happy. That is when Will had to leave. The one and only time Will has a guys night and I am stuck with a sick hysterical child. Grrrr! So after this long day I was on my own. I do have to say that it went better then I had expected. Ethan feel asleep on the sofa while I was trying to get Joshua asleep, an hour early I might add. Joshua is such a trooper though, he did go to sleep or at least he was quiet for me. So of course Ethan woke up when I tried to transfer him from the sofa to his bed. Ethan was and always is harder to put down but I did get him down earlier then normal. At this point with the kids down and my husband gone. I did some much needed release of stress, I exercised. It felt so great!

What a day!!!!!!!!!!!

9 comments:

Amy said...

I hate days like that! But seriously, kudos to you for exercising at the end of a day like that! If it were me...I'd say to myself..."I deserve ice cream!" And I'd sit on my butt and eat fattening food! haha! You are inspiring!

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

Challene -- we think you're a great mommy, no matter what the AT&T guy says.

Joshua and Joy said...

What an awful day! I really feel for you. Amy would be eating ice cream...I'd be eating chocolate and possibly having a nervous breakdown.

Linds said...

Oh sweetie!! Not fun! I feel for you. And I have to agree with you, exercising does make me feel better too. I would have eaten the chocolate and the ice cream afterwards though.

Melissa Turner said...

Wow, what a day. and lotion, oh that's the worst to clean up that's awesome Will came home to clean it up!

Katie said...

Oh, that story totally reminds me of when Sadie smeared Vaseline all over the couch, carpet and herself! Ahhh, Motherhood! It's a good thing little kids are so cute!

Jeff and Amy said...

The life of a mom - never a dull moment!!

Nicole W. said...

Oh my word....to add to Joy's comments..I'd be hucking mykids off the balcony! lol KIDDING....but really, that day DOES kinda suck...so glad you took pictures so you can remind Joshua later what a stink pot he was! haha..

about 3wks ago, megan dumped an entire Chocolate nutrimeal shake into the middle of the dining room floor FIVE MINUTES before I had a bride showing up! I was SO FLUSTERED and MAD!

you're such a good mommy Challene!

Unknown said...

I know you had a bad day and you are not going to believe what I am about to say, enjoy the moment they pass way to fast and you will find yourself at home by yourself while your kids are at school.