

On the trail to Latourell falls
This rock should look familiar to Mom and Dad. We took them here too, and Dad stood atop it and posed for a picture.
This is the famous-est of the falls on the Columbia River Highway. One of my least favorites, frankly.
The bridge to Bridalveil falls
Where is Will? And what happened to the bottom half of him?
Gunther VanHagen's Body Worlds exibit was on display at OMSI while Quinn and LLL came up. Quinn and I decided we'd like to see it so we ditched the women and children and payed the $19 each to get in (yeouch!). For those unfamiliar with the Body Worlds exhibit, I'll explain. Ol' Gunny invented a radically new way of bodily preservation called "Plastination". This process allowed the bodies to be impecibally preserved. Naturally, he patented the process and decided to make millions off of displaying his dissections to the world. It was pretty cool. His dissections were flawless and rather incredible to behold (having attempted my own dissection I could appreciate his skill quite well). Once you've seen one posed dead body, you've pretty much seen them all, though. What I liked were the different pathologies he displayed. A post-stroke brain, the classic "smokers" lung, Abdominal Aortic Aneurisms, etc. Also, he was able to inject his plastination things into the arterial system of several animals (chicken, lamb, human arm, etc.) and then let flesh eating bacteria take care of the rest of the animal so that all you would see is the arterial network. It was so intricate. You could see the many arteries branch into arterioles and then to the capillary beds. Thus, you had a trillion arteries shaped like a chicken, lamb, human arm, etc. Does that make sense? It was a good experience, but $19? Seems a bit steep in retrospect. Anyhoo, the girls had the camera, so here's their day at OMSI:
Ethan and I in a rocket ship (Post BodyWorlds when Quinn and LLL went to take a tour of a submarine -- natrually Quinn used his best Sean Connery impression while down there. What else would he do?). Don't know how this turned out crooked but Challene kinda liked it. It was set up as if a real rocket such that you were lying on your back. Pretty neat!
Joshua as usual puting stuff in his mouth. Yes he did get sick about a week later. Yah go figure put germy stuff in your mouth and you get sick.

The Classic Chinese Garden
The entrance to the gardens
This here is a rock. It's in the gardens... Joshy's sitting on it. Gosh, what do you want from me?Ethan was pooped. A nice hippy lady took this picture for us.
We went to the Saturday Market too. Basically just a huge flea market held every Saturday. It was long and we got hungry so we went to the pub for a couple pints.

Ethan and his sauce again. I think he's had enough.
I have no comment about this one. Except that those fries were very, very good.
China Town


Challene and I don't wear hats and the boys were fasinated by Quinn's.
We had a fabulous time with the Lavanders here. They were lovely and gracious guests and we hope they will come again. Also we are always up for anyone who would like to stay with us. We would love some company. So here is another official invite for those who need it. Come, stay, see what Oregon has to offer.
~Fin~




3 comments:
Great pictures! And you know how much I love pictures. I really liked that first picture of Quinn and Laura Lee with the Columbia River in the background. I'm excited for the Lavender's new baby girl on the way. They'll make great parents. Then there's those cute grandson's of mine. I miss them bunches. Take Care. Love you all.
Looks like you had fun with the Lavenders. Maybe some day Russ and I will make it up that way.
Will, I am so jealous. I have always wanted to go to the BodyWorks Exhibit. I have wondered since I first heard about it how they got the circulatory system preservations, but those who I know that went were not medically minded so they never read/noticed how it was done. Thanks for answering a question you didn't even know I had. Dave & I would really love to come up and see you guys also, we just have to see how the next year goes. We missed you on Saturday, but truely felt of the moral support you have been sending, Thanks!!!
Post a Comment