Sunday, March 1, 2009

I Made Bread!!!

The first part of February I went to an enrichment night activity on how to make bread. I went to this activity knowing nothing about making bread. I was interested in learning about it but, I had this idea that bread was hard to make so I was a bit leery. I love to bake I just have never tried anything with yeast before (I guess you can say I have been intimidated by it). I really enjoyed the class and was way excited to give it a try. That week I had even bought all the ingredients. However due to life, which includes a good week of being sick, I was unable to do it until today.
The class was taught by an amazing woman Nita Smith. She is just one of those women who seems to be able to do it all. Which I am sure has to do with her doing and trying things until she gets it (she even mentioned this when she was teaching us, that she has been doing it for 20 years and it has been a lot of trial and error). I just love her. Anyways she was called to teach the class last minute and she did a great job. She gave us a great recipe and all the in's on the best products/ingredients to use. So I don't know if bread making isn't as hard as I thought, if Nita is an amazing teacher or if it was just pure beginners luck but my bread turned out great! However I know Nita was a big part of it. Without her I really didn't know how to do anything.
The finished product. The two in the middle of course are the prettiest!
The boys testing the finished product. They gave me thumbs up. It has to be great if a 4 year old and a 2 year old like it, right?
The Hubby testing!




The Hubby liking! Well at least he said he did, which I'm going to believe because I thought it was good myself.

Anyways just bragging a bit I guess. I am just really proud of myself. It is always nice to succeed, especially at something you are trying for the first time.

Oh and I can't forget about Amy she helped me out when I called her a couple times for help with the bread. She's always there for me when I'm in a bind! Thanks Amy!

11 comments:

Linds said...

Congrats. It looks super yummy. If you ever feel like making more, you can send it our way.

Jeff and Amy said...

Call me lazy, but I've never made bread in the oven where I have to kneed it and do everything myself. I got a breadmaker to do it for me :) I LOVE homemade bread. Just looking at those pictures made me hungry - I think I'll make some tomorrow...or should I say, I think I'll put the ingredients in the breadmaker and wait 4 1/2 hours until it's done :)

Monica said...

I would love to know what is the recipe that you used to make your bread. I love to make bread by hand because it is sometimes fun and our bread maker never works that well for cooking it. Actually mixing too now that I think of it. So please let me know, I just love having more recipes to go off of too.

Shaun and Lindsey Reynolds said...

I love homemade bread. You should try scones next. I just made those the other day and loved them!

Colleen said...

Congratulations. That's something I've thought about trying, but never have taken the time to try. The bread looks absolutely scrumptious. Way to go!

The Fullmers Four said...

I am impressed.

Amy said...

I'm so impressed! They look fantastic!!! And you can call me anytime for help. Remind me to send you my hippie bread recipe!!!

Living Green said...

Hippie bread! Listen, I don't know how they do things in Payson, but we like our bread free of any mind altering substances!

Erin said...

You're not bragging. It feels great to accomplish something challenging. When are you going to invite me over for a slice?

Anonymous said...

Making bread is essential to whatever.

Heather said...

Looks yummy! Send some my way : )