Sunday, March 29, 2009

New Calling

Yes, you are all asking yourself didn't I (Challene) just get a calling as the Relief Society Secretary not so long ago? The answer is Yes, in mid January. However I guess Heavenly Father thought I had mastered that calling and wanted me to have the opportunity to grow some more. That's what you get when you get too comfortable in your calling. Also, let me just tell you to be careful what you pray for! It was in early January right before my first calling here in the Clearfield 23rd Ward when I was mulling over my spirituality. I was thinking to myself "Wow I have been active now for 11 years. Am I where I really should be spiritually?" My answer to myself was "no probably not, I think I could be stronger." So what do I do? I start asking Heavenly Father to help me grow and be a stronger member.

BAM! That's when everything started to hit. I got my calling as the Relief Society Secretary, I was also asked to say the closing prayer in sacrament meeting that same Sunday (Yes it was my first time, I was always able to get out of it before. But the guy who asked was very persistent and again I was thinking at that time these were opportunities to grow. I seriously had a little melt down during sacrament meeting. I just was very overwhelmed by my new calling and having to pray that day in front of everybody. After a little short cry/breather in the bathroom I pulled it together and of course did just fine.) Not to long after all of that Will and I were asked to speak in sacrament. I have done this a couple of times before. However it had been a while around 4 years. Of course I was nervous but that went just fine also.

So you are all by now probably going crazy to know what the new calling/opportunity to grow is. I am the 1st Counselor in the Relief Society! I am the counselor over Enrichment. I have to say I kinda saw it coming so I really wasn't that surprised or overwhelmed. I don't know maybe I am just in denial. The reason I say I saw it coming is because we have been having an awful time filling the 2nd Counselors position ever since I was called to be a secretary and that was all before we lost our 1st counselor just a week or so ago due to her selling her house and moving. So I just thought they might move me up to be a counselor since it is a more important calling than the secretary. Oh and for now I am still called to be the Secretary as well. Yeah, like I said they are having a hard time filling positions so hopefully I won't have to do double duty for long.

Well wish me luck! Oh and I will take all the prayers/advise/help I can get with this new calling.

I know it sounds like I was complaining but in all reality all of this really has been a great opportunity to grow. It really is amazing how Heavenly Father will grant your hearts desires especially when they are righteous desires. I can't tell you how perfect that first calling as a Secretary was for me at that time. It had everything that I was thinking at that time that I needed. For example I needed help paying more attention at church. Often times I get distracted just by looking around at people instead of paying attention to the speaker. However part of my calling as the secretary I had to listen/take notes of the lessons and announcements so I could put them in our email newsletter. This was such a great thing to help me focus on those spiritual things being taught. I also had to learn peoples names for various reasons to do my calling and that was such a great opportunity to get to know people in this new ward. Which in turn has helped me feel more at home here. There are so many other reasons that I won't bore you with. I am just so thankful that my Heavenly Father answers my prayers, this was not the first nor will it be the last and I am so grateful He loves me. I am excited and a little nervous about my new calling, but I am ready to take on this new opportunity to grow.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Challene...that's awesome! That was probably my favorite calling I've ever had! I always loved planning Enrichments. It's a pretty demanding calling, but I loved it! You'll do so great!

Jeez I miss you...we need to chat!

Linds said...

MUAHAHAHAHA!! Good luck!! J/K, seriously, you are going to be AWESOME! I loved it as well. It's very hard, but very fulfilling. If you ever need ideas, give me a call or send me an email. I also loved the website sugardoodle.net it has TONS of ideas. If I could do it, then you can for sure. You are much more creative than I am. Good luck and have fun!

Melissa Turner said...

You are so creative and fun you will be awesome.

The Hill Family said...

Congrats Challene! You will be wonderful! I'm so glad you are feeling more at home in your ward. Miss ya!