Friday, May 15, 2009

8 Years!!!!!!!!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

May 16, 2001

Alright. This is actually my third attempt at writing this blog. I wanted it to be a very special and accurate account of our marriage. For some time, I've wanted to write the details of what happened on that day, as it was perhaps, the single most important and wonderful day of my life. As is it, however, eight years later, I'm afraid I don't remember the exact level of detail I had hoped I would. Very disappointing. Most instances from that day feel like a slideshow in my memory, randomly flashing different scenes from the events that transpired. I will, therefore, as best as I can document the things that I can recall.

I don't remember being overly nervous but just excited that Challene and I were finally getting married. I had known for a very long time that she was the one for me (even though she'll claim I waited waaaaaay too long to ask her), and it seemed that every significant occurrence in my life had culminated into the fulfilling of this one single event. Little did I know that marriage was merely the beginning... the gateway to more important, more amazing, and more significant occurrences that prepared us (and especially me) for future events. i.e. kids. Just like after my mission... just like after my marriage... after Ethan was born I was like..."ok, now what? Surely, everything in my life has been to prepare me to begin and get through this event, what more could possibly be in store for me?" Then we had our second child. It wasn't until then that I decided that life is simply a series of minor choices that, for better or worse, prepare us for an upcoming more significant event. I've dubbed it, "The Perpetual Culminating Experience Effect" or PCEE for short. But I most definitely digress. What I wanted to convey here, is that I know (and knew on that then) that Challene and I were meant to be married that day. More specifically, I know that we were meant to be sealed together for time and eternity. I'll try to stick to facts from now on.

I remember waking on May 16, 2001, and realizing that it had rained overnight and ominous clouds remained to threaten us with additional moisture. That prospect didn't bother me.

Our sealing was to be held at 9:50 if I recall correctly. I arrived at the temple with my dad to find Challene already there with her cousin Gordon (her witness) and her mom. We sat down and immediately I knew something was wrong. After some hesitation Challene confessed that she had forgotten my ring at home. This is significant because the Anderson family are master planners. Lists, back-up lists, worksheets, pre-planning coordination meetings, pre-planning meetings, planning meetings, post-planning meetings, etc. are all had for even the most inconsequential of occasions. And now, they had forgotten my ring. This late, there would be no way to get it before the sealing. Her sister, BreAnna, would have to get it on her way to the temple and give it Challene to give to me after the sealing. I didn't think it was a very big deal, Challene was quit upset. I triple checked, then, to make sure I had her ring.

I hate to admit it, but from then on details of the temple are somewhat sketchy. That's when the slideshow comes in. Fortunately for us, we have some very quick writing sisters-in-law who have exceptional memories. Because of them, Challene and I have a transcript of what was said to us by our sealer. We read it fairly often, and it is a good reminder to us of how we should be.



I remember waiting for Challene after the sealing. I had changed into my tux pretty quickly and was waiting for quite some time. I remember she turned the corner in her gown and my jaw dropped. She was beautiful. But, hey, don't take my word for it. Check us out:



This was at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. We had both our luncheon and our reception there. It was beautiful and we are still happy with our decision. The food wasn't bad, either.

I do remember that some of our decorations were these vase/bowl things with roses and floating candles at each of the tables. Of course, Challene and I with our respective parents/grandparents sat at the head table and as we ate lunch we started to hear a cracking-like sound. After some time, we realized that our decorative bowl was cracking. Water was trickling out all over the table. I suppose the temperature difference what with the candles caused it to crack. Needless to say, we had to hail our waiter to get it removed.

We took pictures all over the temple grounds, inside the JSMB, and even over at the conference center. Challene and I couldn't stop smiling the whole day.

We had some time between the luncheon and the reception and I remember that Challene and I fell asleep on a sofa inside one of the rooms.

Some photos:


Our cake.

As you can see, the day actually turned out quite lovely. White puffy clouds in a bright blue sky, with the freshly rained on flora. Beautiful.

Our reception was amazing. It was in the "Empire Room" of the JSMB. We had a wonderful pianist. Some items of note from the reception:

  • Glenys Browning kissed me.
  • Diane Anderson cried when shaking my hand...
  • I DID take off Challene's garter with my teeth. I flipped it backwards into a crowd of salivating bachelors. Someone tipped it and it landed on a table next to the group. Everyone just kind of stopped and looked at it. Paul Vandersteen, a very shy friend, slid non-chalantly toward it and with blushing cheeks furtively snatched if off the table, tucked it into his pocket and resorbed back into the crowd.
  • We never got to eat. It was a delicious creme puff with grapes and chocolate.
  • I did NOT smash cake in Challene's face.
  • Our videographer got "confused" and turned the camera off when trying to record, and on when not.
  • Challene wore her shoes the entire time.
  • My brothers did decorate my '99 Nissan Altima, but were very nice about it.
  • I met cousins I had never met before.
  • Doug Gurr still spelled my name Willy.

I'm sure I missed some stuff. Feel free to add to the list, dear.

We left the next day for fabulous Hawaii. Several of our friends/family tried to discourage us from going on such a seemingly extravagant honeymoon for reasons I wont get into. We had an amazing time... and not because of a lack of those reasons I wouldn't get into.

At any rate. We're now 8 years and two kids into it, and I love her more today than I have ever loved her. Our trials have brought us closer, we've shared our successes together, we've grown more in love.

7 comments:

Linds said...

AWWW!! So sweet! Happy Anniversary to you two!! You guys have still got it!

Katie said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

Umm, yeah.

First off: a bunch of kudos to you for a) mentioning the "Glenys Kiss" (as it has come to be known), b) mentioning Doug Gurr at all, c) using the word "furtively".

But, failing to mention the awesome poem composed and read for you by your best best man: inexcuseable.

Quinn

Tyney Family said...

Very sweet Will, you guys are the BEST! Happy Anniversary!!

Jeff and Amy said...

Happy Anniversary! I love hearing wedding stories. And it's fun to hear from the groom and see what he remembers!

Monica said...

Way cute! You remembered quite a bit and that was really fun to read about.

Anonymous said...

Large pie, fry, small coffee.

"Here's the deal. I'll give you TWO mints if you..." -Stallion

You: "I can't belive you actually did that."
Me: "It was a two mint bet, of course I did it."

"Ggtt"

"Are you those boys who've been wh***ing in my shed?"

You: "Yeah...NO! The dogs name is Beuford."

If you don't know who this is, call me and find out.
402-595-8181
Hint: I was the coolest mission companion you had.