Friday, April 25, 2008

Spring Break!!!

Our Trip to Utah!!!



Well, here it is, our long-anticipated Trip-to-Utah posting. We spent two glorious weeks at the Utah homestead equi-weighted betwixt both the Green side and the Anderson side. I will never enjoy the 12 hour drive it takes to get down there. In retrospect, however, everything went really well. The kids were good... content to watch movies, eat food, or kick mommy and daddy's seats! At only three years old, Ethan has already pulled out the "are we there yet?" schtick! He mixes it up, though, by saying one of the following: "I wanna go to Granpa's". "Why aren't we going to Utah?" We stopped in Boise at a McDonalds with a play place so the kids could get some of "their wiggles" out.

Then we made it to Utah. I must say that it was different not going to good ol' Woods Cross to see Mom and Dad. It actually took a day or two to get used to the fact that they no longer live there. We got there at about 7:00 p.m. and the kids were so happy to be out of the car and at Grandma and Grandpa Greens. Frankly, Challene and I were happy to be out of the car too! Grandma Green was giddy that whole night. We love their new place and know it's perfect for them. They have a nice little neighborhood and friendly neighbors to boot. Especially the lady who brought the grasshopper pie! Mmmmm...

Well, we had so much fun on the trip, I think the only real way to get to it all is to use the pictures.

We went to the Train Station in Ogden to see BreAnna's craft booth. Not only did we see a booth, we saw BreAnna! Not only did we see BreAnna, but we saw here kids too! Cute little Peyton and Bryton Harrison. We took the kids out to the big train in front and let them look at it. Here is Peyton, Ethan and Joshua sitting on the car's steps.


Little Bryton had to stay in the stroller. As you can see, she wasn't all that upset.




We were trying to leave, Joshy and Ethan just had to climb on the train engine.

I must confess... I still feel bad to this day... When we arrived at the show I was perusing the parking lot to find a space to park. Challene, with her open-parking-spot sixth sense, spotted a car pulling out on the opposite row of parking spots. It was perfect. Right in front of the main entrance. A prime spot. I sped up somewhat in order to ensure our securing the space. As I rounded the first of the two corners a large green excursion passed by us. I knew they had seen the person leaving too and were hurrying to get the spot. Not about to be beaten, I stepped on the gas as I rounded the last corner and headed down the straight-a-way toward the open spot. As I neared, I saw the excursion round the corner opposite me. It would be close. The spot was closer to their corner than mine. I flipped my blinker, swung wide left and snatched the spot before the excursion could think twice. I continued to settle the car while Challene watched the green excursion. They sat there. "Probably just impressed/jealous of my stellar driving abilities," came the thought to my mind. "Ummm... Will?" Challene's voice broke my personal revelry. "Yes, my Eternal Companion," I replied. "That car has a handicap tag on it's rearview." I turned just as the car started to make it's way passed us. It's funny, a car is an inanimate object, and yet the way in which it started expressed to me the shock, disappointment, and downright anger of it's occupants. I caught a glimpse of the two little old ladies in the driver and passenger seats with the most innocent looks on their faces. Separated only by a small, rectangular blue and white tag hanging from the rear-view mirror. Handicapped. I checked my spot over and over and there was no indication of a handicapped sign. What I thought was the perfect parking space for me would have even more perfect for them. At the behest of my lovely bride I began to back up the car only to see them pull completely out of the parking lot and speed down the road. Utterly dejected, I parked the car and we went in. I feel horrible to this day about the whole thing. If only I could apologize and give them a good parking space.

But, on to better things:




The entire Green Family spent a day at Dave and Michelle's house for family pictures, easter egg hunts for the children and adults, and a celebration of Sara's Birthday. It was fantastic. Even more enjoyable was seeing all the grown-ups watch Enchanted while the children played downstairs. Joshy has never really been exposed to stairs all that much. He loved the stairs at Dave and Michelle's house. That's all he wanted to do. Can't really get upset at him when he looks this cute!

Some pics of the hunt. Ethan and Josh had so much fun doing it. Challene and I were busy taking pictures/video so Linda and Sara helped the boys out.

Sara's birthday cake. Why wouldn't Mom take it out of the box? I guess we'll never know.

Michelle included a few bonus eggs for the adults consisting of a 5, 10, 15, and 20 minute massage. Challene was the lucky recipient of the 5 minute massage. She loved every minute of it!

We had an adult game night at Mike and Katie's house too! That was a lot of fun. Mosty it was a chance for me to hone my chiro skillz at the expense of my family. But we also had good food, fun games and got to visit with each other. That was nice.

Here we are with Grandma and Grandpa Green, Ethan and Joshua, and Linda and Sara. Poor Linda and Sara had to sleep on the floor while they were saying there, but if you ask me... it was worth it! It was wonderful staying with Mom and Dad. It was wonderful getting to see the family again. Sometimes you don't realize just how much you miss them until you see them again. We enjoyed having the family home evening too. Thanks to all!

Then onward to BreAnna's house!
BreAnna surprised the boys with cool capes they could wear. Even cooler is the fact that they're reversible. One is a Superman/Batman cape. The other one (modeled here by Joshua) has a spiderman symbol on one side and a Hulk symbol on the other. Now, before all you spidey/hulk enthusiasts say anything... Yes, it is common knowledge that neither spidey or the hulk sported capes in all their superhero antics. However, just throwing on a spidey or hulk costume is frankly not practical. Thus, the cape gives enough symbology to claim either a spidey or hulk identity and the fact that it's a cape makes them feel super too. So lay off!

Oh, and they decided to put nets on their heads. Good times.


As was custom on this trip, chiropractic adjustments were had all around. This time, however, I was in my "jammies".

Here, BreAnna and Justin experienced a supine thoracic-thenar-opposite side extension adjustment, with a smile on my face.

Justin wanted a little payback, so I let him adjust my hip.

Little baby Bryton had turned one year old just before we got into town so we all went to the new sports/activity/recreation center in downtown Ogden. The This place was so cool. It had rock climbing walls, those surfing wave doo-hickey's, and those other thingy's that blows air really fast and lets you kind of float on it... you know, so it's like you were parachuting or somehting... Oh, just look at this link to see what I'm saying. We had dinner at the pizza place inside and then enjoyed some arcade games. Ethan wanted to try the one game with the light-bulbs in a circle. You press a button to try to stop the light when it hits one single bulb (out of ~100 or so). Ethan tried and we got a couple tickets. Then Joshua wanted to try, so I put in another token and lift Joshy up so he can reach the button. After some coaching, he realizes that for whatever reason Daddy wants him to hit his hand at this particular spot... which he does. Suddenly, bells and whistles are blaring, lights flashing all over the place! Joshy got the single light bulb and won us over 250 tickets! We were laughing. He had no idea what was going on. That was a lot of fun!

We had a wonderful time in Utah. Since we were unable to make it down during Christmas time, it was nice to get down there to see everybody. I must admit, however, our motivations for actually making the trip were somewhat selfish. I needed a job.

Will's Chiropractic Rant and Info on the New Job!

Mostly, I was hoping to find someone with which I would be able to spend 12th quarter working under (aka a preceptorship). I have shadowed quite a few docs and mostly I've come away feeling depressed. I myself am relatively new to the profession, having never even received an adjustment until a few months before I began school! Since going to school, however, I've come to the realization that chiropractic is SO MUCH MORE than "cracking bones!" I've been somewhat distraught over the last few years with the many docs who discredit the profession by merely offering "rack 'em and crack 'em" services. I am going to school for four years!!! There's a little more to this than "cracking bones". If that was the only thing we offered then we should be able to go to a weekend seminar or something to become a chiropractor. But no. The program is four years for a reason. We are trained to be primary care physicians. I believe we need to act like primary care physicians. Ethically (and legally I might add) we have all the rights, responsibilities, and know-how of any run-of-the-mill M.D. The only difference (in schooling and theoretically in practice) between MD and DC is our treatment preferences (and ~$100,000 in salary a year!). That's why I've always felt uneasy about the doctors I've shadowed.

One DC is diagnosing liver problems by touching vitamins to the patient's liver area and testing the strength of the deltoid (which inevitably leads to hundreds of dollars in supplements/herbs/etc.). One is seeing patients in 5 minute windows. Several are requiring months... even years worth of appointments in order to secure "optimum health"... some even asking for payment up front. And hundred have been sucked into marketing schemes which do not take the patient's specific conditions into account. I've never heard a doctor follow up with a patient about previous treatments. I've never seen a doctor chart outcome measures to objectively indicate a patient's improvement (unless it's a workers comp case). I saw a doc just this past break who, when the patient mentioned issues concerning her gall bladder, ignored her completely, adjusted her back and sent her on her way! What do all these doctors have in common? They're in business to make money. They have lost the drive to help the patient and are only motivated by their boat payment or trips to Europe. In my opinion, they are a discredit to the profession and are practicing unethically. They are a slap in the face of chiropractic. What's more, most of these doctors claimed to be upstanding members of the church. Hmmm... how does that go again... honest in all your dealings... Frankly, it's no wonder that chiropractic has had reputation issues from the get-go.

So I was upset. I was beginning to think that running an ethical chiropractic business and making a decent living was impossible. I needed a mentor. Someone to hold my hand and show me how to be a good doctor first, and to make a good living second. A doctor willing to perform blood work if a patient has a history indicative of liver issues. A doctor willing to spend extra time with a patient to discuss their health and answer questions. A doctor who understands that every patient is unique and therefore will require a unique treatment plan, including number of visits, rehabilitation, supplements/vitamins, etc. A doctor not willing to sell-out for the easy buck, but will use the skills and critical thinking that he/she LEARNED FOR FOUR YEARS IN SCHOOL! I believe most of the trying situations in life are completely reversible if we are able to use a different perspective. I believe that practicing ethically will help change the perspective of chiropractic. That is the kind of doctor I want to be. That is the kind of mentor I need.

I found that doctor. His name is Doctor Norman and his practice is in Clearfield, Utah. I just happened to meet him because his name was in a book at my school. He had done preceptorships before and they had his contact info. Lucky me. He is a man who is willing to do what it takes to help the patient. He is concerned with documentation not only to avoid prosecution if audited, but to reliably document the patients condition and improvements. We had a long convesation regarding other doctors and ethical issues surrounding the profession. I was very impressed with him. As you walk into his office, the first thing you see is a big bust of President Hinckley. Quotations are posted all over from the various church presidents. I was impressed by his incorporation of personal (church) values into his practice. It was a pleasure to see his office and how he works. I asked him if he would be willing to have me come work with him during 12th quarter and he readily agreed. He even went on to say that his future plans include hiring associates near the start of next year. He mentioned that he would be willing to hire me at that time.

So, it was a fully productive and wonderful trip to Utah. We could be moving home as early as September. It may be December, however. It all just depends on these next few quarters and if I can fulfill all the requirements in the out-patient clinic. Here's hoping.

5 comments:

Linds said...

Wow, that was quite the novel. Geez, it took me an hour to read it. Haha! J/K! It looks like you had a nice trip. And it's nice to know that you are so passionate about your work, Will. Espcially now that I am one of your patients.

Amy said...

Well...remember that the quarter doesn't end until the END of September! So don't get all excited to leave so soon! Ugh! (sorry, just don't like saying goodbye)

Nachelle said...

Hi Challene! hope you don't mind, I found your blog from Lindsey's. You can check out our blog at chadandnachelle.blogspot.com.

Jill said...

Hey Challene! Cute pictures! Where did you parents move to? That is awesome that you are planning to move back to Utah. I don't know how people move away from here. I love Utah so much. I don't think I could do it.

Living Green said...

Will's Parents moved to Roy.